Because I’m a frustrated baker and all, I decided to have frosted cupcakes for Francine’s birthday celebration. Of course, having a non-functioning oven is a huge hindrance so I had to settle for store-bought Whatta Tops choco cupcakes. 😀 But because I just have to try
even if it’s the last thing I did I made the frosting myself. I initially wanted to have pink strawberry-flavored frosting, but the result was more peach than pink though it did taste mildly of strawberries. 😉
What I used:
- 100 grams Anchor unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 450 grams Peotraco premium powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons Bear Brand sterilised milk
- a few drops of McCormick strawberry extract
What I did:
- In a bowl, beat the softened butter until creamy.
- Add a cup of powdered sugar, then mix well until completely incorporated into the butter. Repeat until you use up all the powdered sugar and they are evenly mixed.
- Add the milk one teaspoon at a time, mixing until completely incorporated into the mixture before adding another teaspoonful. Repeat until you reach your desired consistency and the mixture is even and fluffy.
- Add the strawberry extract a few drops at a time, mixing all the while until the mixture is evenly colored.
- Slather or pipe onto cupcakes and enjoy! 🙂
- I wasn’t keen on measuring the resulting frosting, but I was able to use them on 30 cupcakes with still a lot of leftover. Mind you, I kinda scrimped since I thought it wouldn’t be able cover all thirty. Guess I estimated wrong, but no biggie since pwede naman papakin yung natira. 😀
- Prior to making the said frosting, I read more than a dozen recipes and watched a lot of tutorials on YouTube. In the end, I picked out the most common and widely-available ingredients and went with the least complicated procedure and played it by the ear. 😛
- You can use a hand or stand mixer to make your life easier. If, like me, you find neither available, do not despair since a spoon and/or fork will do the job as well. And with the added benefit of working out your upper arms to boot. 😀
- I used an open (6-pointed) star piping tip with a disposable pastry bag to get that swirly look. I got both from a local baking supplies shop. A big thanks to them for accommodating my work schedule and keeping the store open later than usual so I could buy the supplies! 🙂
- I bought black sugar sprinkles for garnish too but I have no decent picture with them on, save the ones in my friend’s camera. Still waiting for him to send me copies.
Okay, so this is veeeeery late update, but I finally have a couple decent photos of the cupcakes with the sprinkles. Here ya go: